Interview: Chad Hoppe

Captains Corner
with David Buhr

Chad Hoppe may not be feared like Dennis Pearson, however, he is a force to be reckoned with on the mound. Though Dennis may be the most feared, Chad is perhaps the most lethal. Finesse can often be underrated, leading people to believe a power pitcher is harder to hit, when in fact it's that perfectly placed breaking ball that buckles a player's knees-something Mr. Hoppe knows all too well. Chad seems to recognize that pitching is an art and is perhaps the most masterful artist in our Wiffleball league. He is who I would call the "Greg Maddux" of our league. The use of power pitching seemingly escapes Chad, but there is no need with his fine tuned arsenal. In fact, exaggerations abound when speaking of how many pitches this great artist can hurl. Also, beware of his "Benjamin Button" syndrome-and since he looks so much younger than he is, he can fool you by making you think he lacks the experience, but trust me, it's there.



Full Name: Chad Vincent Hoppe #61
Birthday: April 5
Height: .00113 Miles
Weight: .45 Carls

1. How did you come up with your team name?

When I started the team, there was just Joey (DeLano), my brothers, and me, so I combined our last names... and it stuck.

2. How many different pitches do you actually throw (I've heard as high as 15 but I don't know if that's an exaggeration or not)?

I throw about 9 different pitches... Well, I mean I have 9 different combinations of grip and arm slot angle... but who realy knows what a wiffleball is going to do? and that's why it seams that I throw more pitches.

3. Do you think the league will be more competitive this year or do you think that only a couple of teams will dominate the league?

Adding the rotation rule alone will make the league more competitive. Having a year of experience under the belts of many new players also will help.

4. Who do you think is the most underrated player on your team and why?

The guys on my team played in many games. They are proven. We don't have a team full of unknowns with unknown potential that played in a handful of games. But, if had to pick one, I'd go with Snow. He did have a good season, but he is much better than his numbers.

5. I heard that you were somewhat influential with the new pitching rule? Do you think it will help the league be more competitive? And as a pitcher yourself, how do you think it will affect you and your team?

My brothers and I suggested it. I answered the next question in #3, and we already used a rotation last year, so it won't affect our defense. On the other hand, it will have a positive effect on our offense, and other teams' offenses as well.

6. What was your favorite sport growing up?

I have always been a Tiger fan; so, baseball has always been my fave.

7. What was your favorite hobby?

I have been collecting baseball cards and memorabilia since I was little.

8. Did you ever have any cool or crazy nicknames? If so, any good stories behind any of them?

No, nothing cool or crazy, but in high school I went by "Marlin". Also, Choppy, Chadwick, Chadalack and just plain Hoppe have been thrown my way over the years.

9. Random question: Have you ever been told you look like anyone famous?

Boris Becker, Eric Stoltz, Kris Draper, The Heat Miser

10. How do you feel about all the trash talk that goes on? Is it healthy for the league? Is there too much of it? Should it be toned down? Or do you just sit back and enjoy seeing it happen?

You suck, your team sucks, you have no sportsmanship. We're gonna kick your butt, my team is the best, we're gonna repeat, you don't know what you're talking about, your field sucks, these rules suck... What's not to like about it?
Thanks David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.