NWLA Tournament Wrap

Coffee Time
by Carl Coffee

Wiffleball is a tricky sport, and sometimes you can do everything right, be 100% prepared and you will still lose. I brought a team to Ohio this year that I felt had a great chance at winning, but we didn’t even come close. In fact, the WSEM flag was the first one to come down. Disappointment is a word I could use, but since I had such a great time once again at the NWLA tournament, any disappointing feelings quickly go away.

The 2012 tournament was groundbreaking, and although it was nice to walk across the street to the fields from our hotel, I believe the 2013 tournament blew 2012 out of the water. This year’s tournament had a very authentic feel at the Soccer First Complex in Dublin. The fields had better grass, the loudspeakers and jumbotron added a great feel, and the Friday night festivities were awesome. I hope next year we are able to play at the exact same location.

This year was also neat because five new leagues joined us. Unfortunately Washburn Wiffleball League had to cancel last minute because of a tragedy, but the other seven leagues from 2012 all came back. 2012 was a bit awkward since we really didn’t know many of the other leagues, but 2013 was the polar opposite. It was like a wiffle homecoming and I saw many leagues including my own talking and having fun with rival leagues like we’ve known them for 10 years.

I could go into detail on how much I enjoyed my time hanging out with each league, but I think then this article would end up just dragging on and on. The Wiffle brotherhood is a strong bond, and the NWLA tournament is really building into something special. I want to thank Chris Gallaway for his hard work to put on this event. I know a lot of the behind the scenes logistics to put this event on, but he is still able to shock me with some of the stuff he does. For example, I had no idea the jumbotron was going to be there. Thank you again to Chris and his staff and even the umpires for helping make the 2013 NWLA Tournament one to remember.

I wasn’t the only one who had a blast; here are some quotes from Big Wood players and coaches.

Favorite part of the weekend would definitely be how professional the tournament felt. From the jumbotron, to the HR derby and all-star game, to all the fields being right next to each other, it felt like the tournament was really worth something. Had a feel of a wiffleball convention with a tournament involved.
- Austin Bischoff   

I really loved how outgoing and friendly most other leagues were. I had a great time talking to other players about their leagues. Even as Freaky Franchise got beat by TBW they had fun with it.
- Joel Crozier   
I had a great time hanging out with everyone else. I liked how everyone from our different teams through the league came together and supported everyone. We were able to set aside our competition with each other and try to channel it on beating the other leagues. Too bad we fell short.
- Chris Paquin   
Every team was just as friendly as competitive, haha. Everything was organized to a tee, and the setup including everything from the jumbotron to the camcorders really made it feel like a big stage.
- Dakota LaDouceur   
The overall feeling of camaraderie among all people at the event was indescribable. Everybody from players to managers to umpires to workers were all very friendly, even during some of the most intense Wiffleball games. Even on the biggest stage, everybody had fun.
- Evan Bischoff   

This is the weekend I have been anxiously awaiting to arrive for just over a year. With the thoughts of how amazing the event was last year on my mind, I could only imagine what was in store for this year. It was an awesome experience to welcome in the four new leagues, and reconnect with all of the wiffleballers around the country from last year. The HR Derby and All-Star events were both great events to meet and greet the other teams. This weekend is the perfect mixture of competitive nature and having fun in a game in which we all enjoy. My favorite part of this weekend was the twelve-inning duel between Ryan Bush and Austin Bischoff, easily two of the best pitchers in the country. Although we fell short of our own expectations, the atmosphere of this weekend was absolutely unreal. The NWLA tournament always will be one my favorite weekends of the year. I can’t wait to see you all again next year, let the 362 days of preparation begin now!
- Alex Shore   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.