Playoffs?

Coffee Time
by Carl Coffee

Every offseason we have made many rule changes and this offseason was no exception. The big one was obviously the talent cap and the smaller one that has kind of been unnoticed is going from five innings to six.

Something else that has changed, which I am very excited about, is the new playoff format. In the first two seasons we had eight playoff teams, which I felt really watered down the regular season. In 2013, instead of leaving it up to a vote, I made a rare commissioner’s decision to put in stone to only have four teams advance to the postseason. Now with 10 teams signed up for the upcoming season, I once again implemented a new playoff format without a vote, and that is to have five teams advance.

A running bit with Corbett and me has been calling the opening game a “play-in” game and technically not calling it a playoff round. I have been guilty of calling it that myself, but I do consider that one game to be a full-fledged playoff round. Before I breakdown why the new playoff format will be the best yet, let’s look at the boring nitty gritty.

As always, the two division winners will be the #1 and #2 seeds and host the best of 3 first round games. The top wildcard team will then be the #3 seed and will play at the #2 seed. The next two wildcard teams will be the #4 and #5 seeds, and this is where it gets fun. This will be my favorite day of the season: the #4 and #5 seeds will then play at the #1 seed’s home field with the #4 seed being the home team in a one game win-or-go-home “opening round” matchup. Then immediately following that, the winner of that game will play the #1 seed in a best of 3 series. Get it? Got it? Good.

Another thing I love is the set playoff dates. The end of summer is a busy time and sometimes it is unavoidable to miss games. Having set days to play will give you many months in advance to set your personal schedule.

If this playoff format looks familiar, it is because I bummed it off Bud Selig. Some people hate the one game Wildcard “round”, but I am a huge fan. I know we are six months away from opening day of WSEM, but with the current rosters as is, I want to break down some things and give you even more proof why the new playoff format is best yet.

Okay, let’s be honest when looking at the current ten teams and make some assumptions. Wicked Aces, El Diablos and Warriors will probably be the top three seeds, and King Friday will probably be punching a ticket to John Hill for the Thrill. I have some doubts about the Warriors because of availability of some of their guys, but for the sake of argument let’s put them in the top three. That leaves six teams in the running for the last two wildcard spots: Holy Balls, Wolfpack, Flying Squirrels, Belgian Wiffles, Islanders and Onanism.

Gun to my head I am making the Holy Balls the #4 seed. They have too much talent and the best power hitter in the game, Dennis Pearson, is now on their team. I would say most unbiased people would have the same four teams as the #1-4 seeds. If we only had a four team playoff, how boring would that be? Sure, we could still have a playoff race, but having that third Wildcard spot really opens up the possibility of making the playoffs for many other teams.

It is really hard right now to predict who the #5 seed will be. I did say on the October podcast that the Wolfpack are my prediction at the current time. I am not 100% confident in that choice, though. The Squirrels, Belgian and Onanism will go as far as their rookies take them. The Islanders have Mundel who is capable of winning any game he starts, so you have to put them in the conversation as well.

It took three seasons to finally have a decent postseason, but I believe 2014 will blow this past postseason out of the water. In addition to that excitement will be the playoff race at the end of the season. Those late July games will have more meaning than ever. My final season being Commissioner has the makings of truly being something special. Don’t let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.