8 Preseason Predictions

Coffee Time
by Carl Coffee


After a one week hiatus, I return with a brand spanking new Coffee Time. This week, I am going to list eight predictions for what I think will occur in our inaugural season of WSEM. These predictions will range from slightly obvious to bold, and maybe even to moronic. As the season nears and we hopefully reach eight teams, Brandon and I will have fun with betting lines and over/unders, but for now, let's just have some stupid fun.

8. Brian Constanti will NOT be the most dominant pitcher this year.

I know how dominant Brian was in the only tournament he played in, but I just don't see him as the league’s number-one pitcher this year. I believe veterans Corbett, Chad Hoppe, or even Pearson all have a good shot at taking over the honor of #1 pitcher with their continued improvement and experience.

7. Alex Shore will lead the league in runs scored.

Not the most exciting stat in the world, but when it is all said and done, what is really more important than runs? Alex has the patience and the timely hitting to get on base, and with a strong lineup behind him; he should score a lot.

6. The DD Boys will both be Top Five HR hitters.

Dennis Pearson and Dylan Braden could have shared the honor of most improved players in 2010, and this year I expect big things from them offensively. Both of the DD Boys swing hard, and I think when it's all said and done, they will both be two of the top HR leaders.

5. No team will win more than 20 games.

I really believe the parity in this league is suburb. There are four or five teams I could see winning it all, and that number could even be higher once I see the rookies play. Even though I wouldn't be shocked to see a team win 20-22 games, I am gonna stand firm in this prediction.

4. Chad Hoppe will lead the league in strike outs.

Chad, who I mentioned as a likely candidate to be the most dominant pitcher this year, has a history of high strike out totals. I have no reason to believe that won't continue. He also pitches pretty much every inning for the DeLoppes, so that will obviously help his total.

3. Chris Lewis from the Belgian Wiffles will be an All Star.

Captain David Buhr took advantage of an unknown free agent and signed Chris Lewis. Nobody in the league except for Chris Lewis knows how good Chris Lewis really is. I have a feeling this guy will be a stud. Although he is a pitcher, I think his hitting will get him voted in as an All Star. This is a bold prediction, so make me look smart Chris.

2. The Westside Warriors will lead the regular season in wins.

Captain Alex Shore has made some big moves this offseason and has assured himself to be able to find four guys when they play. This team made it to the championship game in September with only 3 guys, so imagine what they will do with a full team. The Warriors have the young legs, strong hitters, and a roster full of pitchers. When all the teams have played their full 28 games, you will see the Warriors going into the playoffs as the #1 seed.

1. The WSEM World Series will be between the DeLoppes and the Flying Squirrels.

Although I like the Warriors in the regular season, I think these two veteran teams will meet in the end. The DeLoppes and the Squirrels both have an ace pitcher in Corbett and C. Hoppe, and the two teams will ride their coattails. Who will win it all? Well you have to wait to find out that one.

Those are my eight predictions for the season. A lot could obviously change these predictions, though. For instance, how good will the Commandos be? With a ten man roster, they could be just as dominant as any team. Who will be the 8th team? Will they be a team of unknowns, or will wiffle veterans claim the final franchise? Will rookies dominate again? Will Chad Hoppe hit his first home run? Will Todd make an appearance? Well...I can't wait to see how these predictions pan out.

-
Carl Coffee
Flying Squirrels, 18, SS
VP of Communications

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.