Team Tuesdays: Flying Squirrels


by Alex Shore

When the average person thinks Wiffleball, you think of a yellow, hollow bat and a childhood game. I, on the other hand, think of one of the most fun summertime activities I have ever been a part of. All of that success is credited to Carl Coffee and Brandon Corbett. When Carl asked me to write this article about the team I was truly flattered. The Squirrels are a team that is the most beloved team in WSEM, it would be much like playing for the LA Lakers or even The Boston Red Sox. So, with no further delay, I will write about the most prestigious team in WSEM.


King of the World, Carl Coffee
My first ever-organized game of wiffleball was on June 26th 2010 against the Flying Squirrels of WSEM. At the time I didn’t think too much about it or even realize what it all meant, but now I realize just how special it was. It was a roster consisting of Carl Coffee, Matt Murtha, Brandon Corbett and Ryan Keith Bullard. This team is not great on paper but you can very much consider these four as some of the all time legends of WSEM. It was like playing Mickey Shore, Pat Lafontaine, Darren McCarty and Al McInnis in a 4 v 4 pick up hockey game! Anyways bringing it to the 2012 season Carl and Brandon still are on the squad, but Michael Constanti, Mike Merlo, and a few other rookies now accompany them.


Wiffleball: it's all in the thighs.
In my science of power rankings article I have them at number five on paper. Now, given the magic that can happen during the summer and seeing them play in the satellite tournaments, I do not expect them to actually finish there. Carl’s expert defense, Brandon’s clutch hitting (.306 AVG, .537 SLG%, 7 HR and 7 2B in 2011), Merlo’s “Jamie Moyer-esque” dominance (0.24 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 32 K and 4 BB in 20 IP in 2011), and Constanti’s help (1.54 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 121 K and 42 BB in 61.2 IP in 2011) could lift this team above and beyond expectations. I expect big things from the Squirrels that had a mediocre season statistically and finished .500 in 2011. If they can find a way to get on base and score the runs necessary (more than one), they can make a top three run. Basically put: they have to step up at the dish and continue to play solid defense if they want late season success. This is truly a great group of guys, I’m glad to call them my friends and competitors; they truly make WSEM one hell of a league. If I had to assign each player to a famous athlete: Carl would be Mark Messier, Brandon would be Shaquille O’ Neal, Constanti would be Ron Artest, and Merlo would be Gordie Howe.


Bumper stickers are $1


Good Luck to all this season,

Alex Shore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.