Can Big Wood Perform on the Big Stage?

  by  Alex Shore
 
Bold predictions, smack talk, and a little bit of love were present in the WSEM NWLA Inaugural Tournament podcast. Sure, we got some heat from the other seven leagues, but I must say, it started to get people excited for the NWLA Inaugural Tournament. Now, I had WSEM as the best team, but not only was that a pump up for my team, but I feel if we want to see success, we will have to do much more than actually believe in ourselves. I will present to you want needs to be done by each player in order for WSEM to get their first ever National Championship.

1)  Austin Bischoff
Austin needs to do what he is known for, pitch dominantly. And by dominantly, I mean the Austin that only gives up a run approximately 2% of the time he pitches, a jaw dropping statistic. In addition, Austin has to get the bats moving, as he could be one of the games deadliest hitters with his power. Considering he has hit three homers in one game this year, two of which were over 135 feet in distance!!

2) Dennis Pearson
Dennis has taken a little bit of a slump this year, he isn’t exactly dominant on the hill, and his batting is down. What needs to happen out of Dennis is a massive 2011-esque pitching performance. I’m talking the Dennis who pitched 47 innings in last year’s championship series and, I kid you not, did not give up a single run. Oh did I mention he struck out 83? Or that was all in one day?? Anyway, he also needs to step up the bat. He is one of the most powerful people I have seen, and can hit the ball a country mile. If Dennis does this, we will be tough to beat.

3) Brandon Corbett
Corbett needs to keep on keeping on! By that I mean continue his pace and play. He had a down year in 2011, but right now he is killing the ball and also pitching well. If he can do this, Brandon could be a useful reliever and also a batting threat as well. His 22 RBI’s through 22 games speak volumes. Meaning if Corbett knocks in one run per game in Columbus, and is in addition complemented by the rest of the lineup, this team has prime chances of winning games!

4) Sam Hatt
Mr. Perfect! And by that I mean the fact that he has thrown a perfect game this year and also has an ERA of 0.12 and a 7-1 record!! He is a pitching threat and he is on a roll this year! If he brings that to Columbus other teams will have a tough time getting on base, let alone a hit!! Sam’s batting stats of an OBP of .417 and 34 total bases make him an offensive threat, as well. If Hatt can continue to get on base, that will make it tough for other teams to beat us, when he is complimented by the others in this lineup.

5) Evan Bortmas
Evan has not only pitched a perfect game but he is without a doubt one of the league’s best hitters. No matter how hard you pitch, Evan can hit you. His .314 batting average, .450 OBP, .721 SLG and 1.170 OPS speak volumes. Evan also has a 0.45 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, 72K’s and a 6-1 record on the hill! If Evan just does what he does, I see him having a lot of success in Columbus!

6) Alex Shore
I need to elevate my level of play. As captain of this team, I feel that leading by example will lead these guys to out do me. If I get on base, I feel they will drive me in. 2012 has been a down year for me, but I need to rekindle my 2011 season in which my batting average was .417, my OBP was .516, and my SLG was. 787. My base-running needs to be at its peak considering that is what I do best. Speed and power are a deadly combo, and that has to be present for us to see success in Columbus.


Captain’s Final Note: I know my guys can play with the best of them, I know my guys are tough to beat, and I know for a fact, that we have the best pitching around. It is an honor to have been elected to lead this team as captain. It is an honor to play against some of the best leagues around. It is an even bigger honor to feel that we can walk away champions.

Best of luck to all teams competing. I hope to meet some of you and also have a great time.


Alex Shore C
#33 Big Wood - WSEM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.