Diamond Ditch-It

A Cup of Nick Coffee
by Nick Coffee

Diamond Digit? More like plastic pinky. Did not winning this award really matter in my life? Hell yeah! My whole life I try to be the best I can be, even when it comes to grown men playing a silly game like Wiffleball. When I apply myself with a task or a goal, I complete and accomplish it the best I know how. I am not cocky and I am not the best at everything I do. I am totally content with being average at some things, but when there's something that I know I can win, I know I deserve, I'm not going down easy.

When growing up with an older brother and hanging out with older kids on my street I always strived to compete with them. Even though they were only a year or two older than me, they put me on their level of athletics. I could hold my own with these guys! In 2nd grade, I played Little League with 3rd and 4th graders. Doesn't seem fair looking back at it now; I think 2nd graders are in coach pitch nowadays. As they grew, I grew to their level and in some cases surpassed their ability. I talked about this on my last story, but Carl and I would make up games and play them for years and years. We would master techniques and our ability to do the stupidest things. We both wanted to win, we both wanted to be the best.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I'm not the most athletic. I am extremely good looking, but not the most handsome. I'm average in just about everything I do. However, there are a few things where I can say I'm above average. I believe I'm a pretty good problem solver, I'm good with numbers, I can juggle, I think I have a pretty good singing voice, I can throw a pigskin a quarter mile, and I am an above average outfielder in Wiffleball.

When it comes to Wiffleball, baseball, or any sport for that matter, most people like offense. Hitting the most homeruns, scoring the most points, passing the most touchdowns, and just flat-out beating your opponent. These are things that are important to athletes and fans. How can a 2-1 score be that exciting? I'll tell you how; a diving catch to save the tying run in the bottom of the ninth. Defense wins championships. I'm not the best batter at Wiffleball. In fact, I'm pretty terrible. But I would take standing out in left field over being up to the plate with a chance to drive in the winning run. I know most people would rather be a DH; I would choose to be a DF, designated fielder.

This isn't a story to bitch about me not winning a Diamond Digit and it's not to say I deserved it over any other player who received one. It's simply to announce that not winning one affected me. I love the left field position. I love diving over fences and the side of a pool to rob homeruns. I love throwing out batters from deep in the field. Next season I am going to be in every play I can sacrifice my body with. Next season I will dive to catch out-of-reach balls, slide to stop a passing ball and save a double, and throw out batters trying to run home. Next season there will be no question for who the best left fielder in the league is. Next season, I will win that award.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with that


    -the best left fielder in wsem

    ReplyDelete

Please, sign your name to your comments.