Dad

A Cup of Nick Coffee
by Nick Coffee

There are many questions and mysteries in the game of Wiffleball. For example: What are the reasons for different rules? Why do some people run the bases after a homerun? Why are grown men playing this children's game? Most questions can be answered by members of the league, the WSEM website or even earlier articles I've written. There is still one question that remains to be unanswered. A question that a few people have asked, but received no answer. This is the true enigma of WSEM that has haunted the players, the spectators and other teams and leagues across the nation. Why in the hell do we call each other "dad"?

The history of dad has a few back-stories and, like any nickname or inside joke, the true reasoning can sometimes be exaggerated, inaccurate, or just plain forgotten. I don't remember how much we called each other dad in the regular season, but during the NWLA tournament in Columbus, it seemed like we were dubbing everyone the fatherly nickname. I believe fans from other leagues, and maybe even the players, thought we were a bunch of gays. I suppose if I heard men calling other men dad and were clearly not their dads, I would have some level of curiosity myself. We used the term so much that when Corbett made a video portraying the weekend, he appropriately named it "Day of the Living Dads".

I don't think it's weird that we call each other dad. I know many people that call other guys brother or bro who aren't their brother. I've even heard guys being called cuz, when they aren't cousins. Why would it be such a big deal that we call someone dad who isn't our real dad? I think it's a term of endearment from a tight brotherhood that we've formed. I am truly happy when teammates or other players call me dad, as should they.

But where did it come from? Who started calling someone dad? And how weirded out did that other guy get when another dude called him dad for that first time? The first theory is that we started it in Myrtle Beach. It was 2006 and Carl was there for a summer internship and I visited him for a week. A couple days into the visit, two friends drove down from Michigan to hang out for the remainder of my visit. We quoted lines from The Breakfast Club the whole time. “Geeeeee dad”, we would say. “You can do it on the boat!” was another popular quote. Along with this, we called each other dad the whole time. Is it from the movie? Is this where it all started? Nope.

The year was 2001. I was in my junior year of high school, Carl was starting his epic college career, planes were flying into buildings and I had a buddy who was a sophomore named Chris Case. For some odd reason he made this weird voice and would say “hey dad” to his friends, including me. I didn’t think much of it then, but I sure remember it now. I don’t know the real reason why he starting calling us dad, but he’s the reason why it’s become such a normal moniker in WSEM. I’m sorry there’s not a cool back-story of the history of dad, but I think the truth should finally be told. I haven’t talked to Chris since high school. I don’t know where he lives, where he works, I don’t even know if he’s still alive. But I think we should give credit where it’s due. So on the behalf of WSEM and the rest of the Wiffleball community I want to give our gratitude to Chris Case. To the history, the mystery, and the innovator. Thanks dad.

1 comment:

Please, sign your name to your comments.