Early 2014 Field Rankings

Coffee Time
by Carl Coffee

It appears 2014 will see six teams from last season return to the same fields, two teams taking over fields used by other teams from past seasons, and then two teams with brand new homes. I am going to take you around Southeast Michigan, and since it is an addiction I will give my ‘soft’ rankings. A few teams haven’t 100% confirmed their field situation, but they told me rumors that these locations will be their 2014 homes. Reminder: the deadline for submitting field info to the league offices is April 5th, 2014 at the scheduling meeting.

10. Belgian Wiffles The 'Gian Joint Rockwood Rumored
I have to rank Belgian dead last, which pains me since it is my team. When all the fields are confirmed and in place, I will make sure this won’t be a last place field. Unfortunately, since I still haven’t scoped out the land, I have very little I can really say about this place. Apparently the back of Chapman Elementary School isn’t used for organized sports, and there are two backstops to play with. This will be a creative field, much like the Field of Make-Believe, except it will definitely have pitcher friendly dimensions. Above is the rumored area where Belgian hopes to build their field.


9. O.C. Onanism TBA Novi Confirmed
Onanism will make their home at Novi Meadows Elementary. I am not mad at Kiefer and his rookies for picking convenience over creativity. A lot of teams are now using the reverse baseball field method and hit towards the backstop. Kiefer has told me he may buy fencing and use the field the correct way, but I am guessing that won’t happen. This field will also be on gravel, just like The Island. I haven’t seen this field yet, but from pictures it should be kind of boring. Hopefully Kiefer takes the time to paint straight fouls lines and use a backstop. If you’re going to take the convenience route, those aspects better be close to perfect. Above is the rumored field for OCO. It will close to neutral in regards to hitter/pitcher friendly, and it is about ~90’ down the lines and ~110’ to center.


8. Flying Squirrels TBA Woodhaven Rumored
Getting information out of the Flying Squirrels is a difficult task. They severely lack anything remotely close to leadership, and I am told very few things. I had to ask John Sharlow for field information and he told me what he knew. I believe they will be playing at the Civic Center Park in Woodhaven; they just need to talk to the city for confirmation. Jason Hewlett played here with the Mattseals, so he knows the layout pretty well. I liked The Club, but Greg Franzen was very hands-on and committed in making it a nice field. Time will tell if the same goes for the Squirrels home. This field will be all silt fencing, and it will probably be a pretty neutral playing field. The city does a good job cutting the grass and there’s plenty of parking and bathrooms are nearby.


7. Islanders The Island Belle Isle Confirmed
Alex Linebrink and the Islanders will be returning to the softball fields at Belle Isle this season. I don’t think I gave a fair assessment to this field last year as I only was there in Weeks 1 and 2 last season. I am hoping to make a trip to Belle Isle in the summer to watch some games, as it probably has a different feel than in early spring. With that said, there really isn’t much to say about this field. Alex and his team can build and then break down the field in a matter of minutes, and I can’t blast him for that. The one thing that bothers me is how poorly they paint their lines. You can buy kite string for $2, and that is all you need to paint perfectly straight lines. I love having a field in Detroit though, and the views you get on this field are tough to beat.


6. Westside Warriors The Reservation Farmington Hills Rumored
I am not too sure if many will agree with ranking this field over The Island, but it barely beats it out in my opinion since I put a lot of value in grass > gravel. The fencing at Gill Elementary is perfect for wiffleball. 85’ down the lines and 120’ to center gives it unique, square dimensions and the short height of the fence makes for potential homerun robs. Alex Shore has told me he may move the field to a different corner, and should confirm that information soon. Also, this field lacked a backstop in 2013, which is really a nuisance. If I don’t see improvements to this field this season, it will quickly fall back below The Island in the rankings.


5. King Friday Field of Make-Believe Wayne Confirmed
The Field of Make-Believe nestled in the back of Civitan Park on the Wayne/Westland border definitely is creative. People throughout the league told me they either loved it or hated it, and last year it finished #4 in the field rankings. The tree is right field will always make lefties cringe, and I am hoping the sand volleyball court in left field can be implemented into the field more this season. It will never get high marks for convenience since it lacks a parking lot and bathrooms, but it should once again be a middle of the road field.


4. Wolfpack TBA Rockwood Rumored
Wolfpack captain Jason Hollister has told me Wiff-Hill Grounds is one of two fields in the running to be the home of the Wolfpack. Hollister, Dancza, and the Brannan brothers played at Wiff-Hill for the Belgian Wiffles last year. They all live close to Mercure Park so it makes sense to play here, and I truly hope they do. David Buhr surprised me when he actually found a creative field last year, and I think Hollister and Mark Brannan would put in enough effort to make it even better. This field has everything: a parking lot, bathrooms, creativity, and it’s centrally located. The mosquitos can be a pain here, but that is what bug spray is for. If the Wolfpack do play here and make some improvements, I think this could potentially be a top three field.


3. Holy Balls Holy Grounds Wyandotte Confirmed
I have a weird relationship with the Holy Grounds. I want to love it more, but every time I am there the weather is cold and wet - even when I played there in late May. Located on McKinley Playground in the middle of a neighborhood in Wyandotte, the Holy Grounds has a very neat old-school feel. The crazy tall backstop spanning left-center into center can turn no doubt homers into doubles or triples, and has frustrated many hitters. You could play with six fielders here, and there would still be a lot of open space to drop in a hit. I don’t think it will ever compete with Pervis or Poolside, but Paquin and Corbett do a great job with keeping this field as one the better ones in the league.


2. Wicked Aces Poolside Park Ottawa Lake Confirmed
Poolside Park was in a league of its own in 2012, and in 2013 it appeared it would once again be the top field in the league. Out of nowhere it fell to #2, and it starts out 2014 in that same spot. Rumors have circulated that they have some upgrades planned, and I look forward to seeing them. Poolside is the only backyard field in the league, and they do a great job in making others jealous of the jewel they have. I really can’t say much else about the home of the Aces until I see their improvements, and it may take a while since they aren’t planning on playing any games until about a month into the season.


1. El Diablos Pervis Memorial Southgate Confirmed
Pervis Memorial constantly improved its field in 2013. I played there in Week 1 and the field was as boring as can be. I kept coming back though and each time I was there something new popped up. Whether it was a sombrero foul pole, a scoreboard, or perfectly cut grass with different levels separating the playing field, Pervis Memorial kept getting better and better. Finally I had no choice but to dethrone Poolside as the top field and give it to Pervis. The atmosphere at Pervis just couldn’t be beat. Attendance numbers at Diablos home games are always higher than anywhere else which gives the games a special feel. They had a sausage race last year, which I hope also makes a return this year. There is even a rumor that a live chicken could be at the games. They do all of this at Southgate Anderson High School. So for the other eight teams not playing in a backyard, you can make a public field very personal and unique. I remember being called crazy for driving my lawnmower to BMS in 2005 to cut the grass, and these guys do the same thing here. Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.