WSEM-to-MLB Team Comparisons


The Castle Chronicle
by David Castle

Here in WSEM, we are very fond of many things: power rankings, comparisons, and suggestive comments just to name a few. To follow precedent, I thought it would fun to compare this year’s WSEM teams to some of MLB’s teams.



When I think of el Diablos, I think of the Detroit Tigers (sorry Chandler). I make this comparison because, like the Tigers, el Diablos have two of the best pitchers in the game - Chandler James and Craig “Skin Flute” Skinner. And just like the Tigers, they have an MVP at the dish in Kyle Tomlinson.

When I think of King Friday, I think of the Oakland Athletics. Up until the past few years, Oakland was near the bottom of the league when it came to winning games. Billy Bean somehow made a mix of savvy vets and no name rookies mesh so good that they became a rather solid ball club. Just like this years Friday team with an even split of rookies and veterans.

When I think of the Belgian Wiffles, I think of the Kansas City Royals. For the past couple years, people have been waiting on the Royals to finally come into their own but they always seem to take a step back. The same can be said about Belgian: the 2012 team exceeded expectations and last years team was dreadful. This year the Wiffles look to trend up like this year's Royals.

When I think of the Holy Balls, I think of the Cincinnati Reds. Nearly every year in recent memory the Reds have been in the playoff hunt because they play excellent ball in the regular season, but when the playoffs come around, they crumble. The same can be said about the Balls: really good during the season, occasionally beating a good team here and there, but get smacked around in the playoffs.

When I think of the Wolfpack, I think of the Arizona Diamondbacks. For the past couple of years baseball’s experts have picked the D’Backs to finish at the top or near the top of their division, however they end up sucking and don’t live up to their expectations. The Wolfpack were given high expectations but will struggle to keep their record above .500.



When I think of the Wicked Aces, I think of the Tampa Bay Rays. They have a dominant pitcher just like the Rays in Austin Bischoff. Nearly every year the Rays are in the playoffs just like the Aces, but somehow get overlooked because of their lack of offense. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense.

When I think of the Oakland County Onanism, I think of the Houston Astros. Nothing against the Onanism, but I don’t know much about them. Just like I don’t know much about the Astros. I just know that both are below average.

When I think of the Westside Warriors, I think of the New York Yankees. Alex Shore went out a bought his talent just like the late George Steinbrenner. Just like the Yankees, you can also bet that they will be in the playoff hunt. Also, people love to hate the Warriors just like people love to hate the Yankees.

When I think of the Flying Squirrels, I think of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Just like the Pirates, the Squirrels have a team that is trending up. Both have young, talented hitters, but both have a question mark when it comes to pitching.

When I think of the Islanders, I think of the Chicago Cubs. The Cubs haven’t won a championship in 106 years, in comparison it feels like the Islanders haven’t made the playoffs in 106 years. Also, just like the Cubs, the Islanders land the occasional talented player, but fail to build around that talent. Get out while you can Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.