Top 5 Pitchers at the Halfway Point

Coffee Time
by Carl Coffee


With most teams at or near the half way point of the season, it is time for new Top 5 rankings! Well, before the season even started I ranked both the Top 5 pitchers and the Top 5 hitters. Those rankings were based on past stats and the potential I saw in those players. These rankings will be a lot easier, since I have actual stats to base the rankings off of. Looking at the new rankings: I was more wrong than right. But hey, who takes preseason rankings seriously? Enjoy!

#5 - Chuck Weiler - Belgian Wiffles

Preseason Rank: Not Ranked

When I ranked the Top 5 pitchers, I had no problem figuring out the first four, #5 was tough though. It was a toss up between Cliff Comstock of the Wiffling DeLoppes and Chuck, but in the end I had to give it to Chuck. Even though the Belgian Wiffles have only played eight games, it is obvious that Chuck has the stuff of an ace. If I had to put money on it, I would even say he will move up in the Top 5 rankings when I do them one last time at the end of the season. Chuck leads the league in ERA, and as the season progresses, he will be right up there in strike outs and wins too.

#4 - Michael Constanti - Ass Kickers

Preseason Rank: Not Ranked

No, this is not a typo; Michael is now the better pitcher of the two Constanti brothers. No one fell farther from my preseason list than #1 ranked Brian Constanti, and no one on the new list surprised me more than Michael. With rumors of Brian holding back his best stuff, Michael has not been shy to bring it. His 69 K's rank 3rd, while his 2.06 ERA ranks 4th. The Ass Kickers are very fortunate Michael has performed this way, and I am very curious to see if he can keep it up.

#3 - Joe Seto - Campus Commandos

Preseason Rank: Not Ranked

Joe Seto has put the Commandos on his back and carried them to a shocking and very impressive start. Joe eats up many innings for his team, and you have to wonder if he will hold up. Joe leads the league in innings at 38, but yet, only has walked 11 batters. He also is 2nd in K's at 74, and many of those come at clutch times. Joe won't over power you with lightning stuff, but it doesn't seem to matter.

#2 - Chad Hoppe - Wiffling DeLoppes

Preseason Rank: #3

Oh hey, one of my preseason ranked guys made this list! Is Chad Hoppe the ace of the Wiffling DeLoppes? Yes. Is Chad Hoppe the reason for the DeLoppes impressive start? Kinda. The Wiffling DeLoppes have a deep roster with two starting pitchers (C.Hoppe, Comstack) and two relief pitchers (B. Hoppe, McDonald). I make these points not to downplay anything Chad has done, but to praise him for his superior managing skills. Now lets talk about his own pitching talents. Chad is second in the league in ERA at 1.43, and 4th in K's at 63. I have no doubt when the playoffs start, Chad will even take his stuff a notch or two higher, and that will be frightening.

#1 - Dennis Pearson - Git r' Done

Preseason Rank: Not Ranked

I was skeptical to put Dennis in my preseason rankings because of his wild throwing. He is much improved in that category, and his 37 walks compared to 82 K's is why I put him at #1. You can also look at his 2.32 ERA which ranks him 5th and ask, how that is #1 worthy? Well in the opening weekend, Dennis was injured from pitching too much in our April tournament and was pitching at probably 50%. He got knocked around by the DeLoppes and the Mattseals but he is back at full strength now. One reason why he is back at full strength and staying healthy is he has given Dylan Braden 23 innings. When Dennis is on, he is unhittable, simple as that.

Well, I got 1 out of 5 right. Mendoza lined it. The four pitchers who dropped from my rankings are: #5 Dylan Braden (GD), #4 Maclin Malloy (WW), #2 Brandon Corbett (FS), and #1 Brian Constanti (AK). It has been a very unpredictable half season and if that is any measure to how the rest plays out, the next rankings could change just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sign your name to your comments.